Patrick Scott at Solas Gallery
Exhibition opened Friday 28th October at 7.30pm.
Solas Gallery are delighted to announce the opening of a retrospective exhibition of the acclaimed Irish ArtistPatrick Scott (14 January 1921 – 14 February 2014).
Patrick Scott was born in Kilbrittain, County Cork, in 1921, and had his first exhibition in 1944, but trained as an architect and did not become a full-time artist until 1960. He worked for fifteen years for the Irish architect Michael Scott, assisting, for example, in the design of Busáras, the central bus station in Dublin. He was also responsible for the orange livery of Irish intercity trains.
Scott was perhaps best known for his gold paintings, abstracts incorporating geometrical forms in gold leaf against a pale tempura background. He also produced tapestries and carpets.
His paintings are in several important collections including the Museum of Modern Art in New York. He won the Guggenheim Award in 1960, represented Ireland in the 1960 Venice Biennale, the Douglas Hyde Gallery held a major retrospective of his work in 1981 and the Hugh Lane Gallery in Dublin held a major survey in 2002. His works are distinguished by their purity and sense of calm, reflecting his own interest in Zen Buddhism.
On 11 July 2007, Scott, who was a founding member of Aosdána, was conferred with the title of Saoi, the highest honour that can be bestowed upon an Irish artist. The President of Ireland, Mary McAleese, made the presentation, placing a gold torc, the symbol of the office of Saoi, around his neck. No more than seven living members may hold this honour at any one time.
The exhibition was opened by Eric Pearse, Scott’s companion of 30 years whom he married in October 2013 in a civil ceremony in Dublin.